2022-2023 AEM Round 17 Project Funding
UPDATE: As of 5/2/2022, funding has been allocated.
Over the past decade Soil and Water Districts have worked diligently with their farming communities on implementing agricultural environmental management (AEM) best management practices (BMPs) to further farm viability. In 2019 a new component was added to the AEM Program; a cost-share program to aid in funding projects on farms. Districts can receive funding to implement projects within their county with a cap of $50,000 per farm. 2022 has started the second round of this funding availability.
What is it?
A grant opportunity to implement small projects on farms. This funding would assist farmers in implementing best management practice systems on their farm. This means that the applying farm must have a conservation plan written before applying, and that, if funded, the farm must upfront the initial cost of the total project, and upon completion of that project, to standard, the district reimburses the farm up to 87.5% of the total project cost; leaving the farm responsible for at least 12.5%. Projects must be completed by 12-13-2023.
Who is eligible?
Any farm within Clinton County Soil and Water’s Agricultural Environmental Management (AEM) program. Must be a farmer in Clinton County, a U.S. Citizen and at least 18 years of age. Previous funding does not make you ineligible for this round of funding.
How to apply?
Any farm interested in this funding opportunity must fill out an application and return it to the Clinton County Soil and Water office at 6064 Route 22, Suite 1 Plattsburgh, NY 12901, either by mail , email or hand delivery, before March 31, 2022 by 4:30pm, Funding is limited…contact the District soon!
Applications can be found at the Soil and Water office or on our website clintoncountyswcd.org Applicants may add additional pages to the application, if necessary. If completing the application by hand, please fill it out legibly as we cannot fund your project if we are unsure of what it is.
AEM R17 Grant FILLABLE Application
AEM R17 Grant NON_FILLABLE Application
BMP Systems Eligible are…..
Access Control Systems Agrichemical Handling and Storage System
Irrigation Water Management System On-farm Secondary Containment System
Prescribed Rotational Grazing System Process Wash Water Management System
Soil Conservation System Erosion Control System (Cultural)
If you have any questions or concerns about applying, your eligibility, eligibility of projects, etc. Please don’t hesitate to contact Technician Jillian Zajac by phone (518) 561-4616 ext 3 or by email at email@example.com.
Examples of eligible projects….
Prescribed Rotational Grazing System
This is for any farm that is currently grazing or wants graze to livestock: goats, sheep, cows, horses, alpacas, etc. A plan would be written with recommendations on rotationally grazing livestock using 5 or more paddocks during the grazing season. Alternating paddocks allows for forage vigor and regrowth, decreases the reliance of supplemental feed, potentially decreasing feed costs, improving soil health, potentially decreasing fertilizer cost, improving herd health, and decreasing soil erosion in areas where livestock tend to congregate. The plan would be written based on the current animal numbers that the farm has and a scenario would be included that showed the number of animals the land could support. Cost share funding for implementation of a Prescribed Rotational Grazing plan could be utilized for fencing, watering systems, laneways, etc.
Soil Conservation System (Cover Crops)
This is for any farm who utilizes cropland, pasture, vegetable and fruit production, orchards and vineyards. Soil Conservation Plans use management-based measures such as crop rotation, tillage, cover cropping, etc. to reduce/control soil erosion, reduce run-off, enhance soil health and improve productivity of land. This plan is utilized to assess risk of water and wind erosion and make specific recommendations for how various practices will work together to address concerns. Farms may rent Soil and Water’s 10ft Great Plains No-till drill to implement practices. Cost-share funding could be utilized to assist in cover cropping, contour farming, forage and biomass planting, strip cropping etc.
On-farm Secondary Containment System
This is for any farm who utilizes petroleum products on their farm. A conservation plan can be written to implement a permanent facility designed to provide secondary containment for oil and petroleum products. Having secondary storage minimizes the risk of accidental release of these products to prevent contamination of groundwater and surface waters, as well as to provide measures for safe, effective, and timely cleanup of a spill or leak. If your farm store petroleum or oil products on your farm and there is a threat of contaminating soil, groundwater or surface water contact the office.
Many other BMP Systems are eligible!